Saturday, July 30, 2011

Red Riding Hood

This movie is targeted more towards young adults. You can tell by the modern-day language and the Twilight-esque cinematography, but that is probably due mostly to the fact that the films have the same director. I think the characters should have had accents (I read that the tale is German in origin) or at the very least they should've spoken proper English, but, again, tweens were the target for this flick. They probably won't care much about those kinds of little details with sexy Peter and Henry vying for Valerie's affections. Sex-crazed teeny boppers drool over a good, steamy love triangle, but I have to admit that I certainly enjoy that, too. I especially liked Peter and Valerie's little innocent roll in the hay. That was hot! Aside from the steamy stuff, I did like the mystery of the wolf. I thought I had him figured out, but my guesses were incorrect. That made me happy, because I am tired of predictable movies these days. Hollywood needs more original ideas. This movie is far from being totally original, but I appreciate its good twist on a classic.

On another note, I love Gary Oldman, and I think he is always a great addition to any film in any role. He does quirky, weird characters very well. I think his part as the priest was extinguished a little quickly, and I wanted to see him through to the end. So that was a little disappointing.

The movie's ending was kind of left a little open yet it was satisfying. I rented this for a buck, but I kind of wish I'd gone to see it on the big screen. I'll probably end up buying this one.

No comments: