Monday, April 26, 2010

Up in the Air

Up in the Air was an instant favorite, and it immediately reminded me of About Schmidt - another movie I really loved which moved to me to tears.

Now, Up in the Air is no tear-jerking revelation, but it's still pretty moving and good entertainment. I'd say the romance in this film is more between the main character and his lifestyle, but there is also a short-lived affair for George Clooney's character, Ryan Bingham, with Alex who is played by the lovely, sexy and, at one moment, semi-nude Vera Farmiga. Clooney still looks good and still knows how to trick you into thinking he really is the guy you're watching on the screen. Anna Kendrick was excellent in her role of Natalie. I think she plays the perfect fresh-out-of-college-wants-to-please-everyone-before-herself-hardcore-business-exec-newbie. Her crying scene is hilarious, too, and I especially like the relationship that developed between Kendrick's and Clooney's characters. The thing I like best about this movie is the end; Bingham's last few lines and the way in which they are delivered by Clooney - almost poetic. I also think the title is perfect, and I take it two ways in relation to Clooney's character - He's literally up in the air, and also the things and relationships in his life are how he wants them to be so nothing is really "up in the air" in those areas. Ryan Bingham has got his certainty, and I think that's nice. There are probably more meanings to that title, and maybe I'm naive in picking up on those obvious ideas, but that's what I gather for now.

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU CONTINUE READING THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH!!! Even though it wouldn't be my career choice, I sort of envy one part of Ryan Bingham's job...the part that includes flying from place to place and never staying put. Of course, after a while that becomes boring and very routine, and I'd want more normalcy on the ground. I think Ryan Bingham's obsession with earning 10-million sky miles and his elite membership card collection sort of pacifies his need for more in a way, and though he eventually does give in to being the guy who does want more of a normal, settled life aka the guy he previously decided not to be, you can somehow predict that he'll return to being that almost non-existent shadow flying overhead. That's where his destiny lies, and, at the end of the film, I was comforted knowing that Bingham was back "up in the air" and didn't end up miserable and alone. Yes, he is alone, but I think he's happy. He's happier, at least, for having taken a chance and opened himself up to something new, even if it was just for a short time. What's the old saying? Better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all.

1 comment:

Stace said...

Loved this! Think Clooney the best actor today.

After a long layoff I'm back to blogging http://stace06.wordpress.com/

Please come by