Monday, April 26, 2010

Donnie Darko

I'm still debating how I feel about this movie. I know that I'll have to watch it a couple more times to pick up on all the little things and connections. Overall, for now, I appreciate schizo Donnie as the hero - giving his own life for the sake of others - in the end which is really the beginning and the end. Oh, and obviously the guy in the bunny costume, Frank, was really freaking freaky. I'm glad he eventually takes off the suit, though, because that would have given me nightmares if I hadn't known who or what was really inside it. Biggest surprise - seeing Patrick Swayze. I didn't know he was in this movie before I started watching. He was good, and it made me sad seeing him again. Still, I'm glad he's got another good film credit. Yes, I do think this was a good movie, even though I don't fully understand it all yet. I'm still intrigued by the time travel elements. I love time travel in movies and the way it messes with my mind. Oh, and favorite line so far - Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion. This movie has some excellent weirdos.

Maggie Gyllenhaal played Jake Gyllenhaal's sister, and that was neat to see the real-life sibling actors acting together. This was Jake's first major film I believe (not sure), and he was excellent as dark, troubled, sleep-walking schizophrenic Donnie. Jake has continued to get better and better over the years, and, I have to add, hotter and hotter. I patiently await the day he's up for an Oscar.

Next time I watch this, I'm sure I'll have more comments.

No comments: