Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Me and Mr. Darcy - Alexandra Potter

The writing was not the best, but the story wasn't horrible even though it was completely predictable. I think it would be fun to go on a literary tour like Emily did. I would love to see all the places that Jane Austen visited, wrote about and was inspired by. Meeting Mr. Darcy would freak me out a little at first, but, if I was Emily, I would probably have jumped him and not taken 'no' for an answer.

One thing that bothered me was that Emily seemed to be more of a teenager than someone who's almost 30. She didn't sound anything like an experienced woman of 29 who was supposedly the manager of a retail business and had read all kinds of books. And she lived in New York and had never heard of a personal shopper? I found that hard to believe. The author didn't give her main character enough brains in my opinion. The way she composed herself in awkward situations and the things she said made her sound more like 19 than 29...and she sounded more British than American. I think the author wasn't paying enough attention to her character.

Maybe I'm being too harsh here. It is classic chick lit so I knew it would be a bit fluffy when I started reading. It was a light and fun romantic romp with Mr. Darcy. Although, I didn't appreciate the way the author compared Mr. Darcy to modern men, but I know she only did it to prove a point about setting realistic standards instead of searching for a fantasy. She could have made him seem a little less fussy at least.

I liked the other characters and Spike was OK, but I wouldn't want a messy guy myself. The ending was cute. I suppose this would be an entertaining beach read.

No comments: