Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

I've had extra time to read lately so I'm going through books pretty quickly. It's amazing how fast you can finish a book with just 30 minutes a day.

So I thought the other day that I'd seen Pride and Prejudice probably a million times. Different versions. Different actors. Watched with different friends. Heck - I watch it so many times at home that Josh knows if it's on the TV to just go ahead and leave it on that channel. He even knows the characters and can tell when another book or movie is copying off the Pride and Prejudice story line. I'm kind of proud of that actually. Anyways - I realized that I hadn't ever read the book Pride and Prejudice. Seems to be a crime of some sort so I picked up my copy (yes - I had a copy even though I've never read it), and I started reading.

The same familiar characters were there. The same romance. Same mishaps and confusion, but for some reason I didn't like as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's because I have the movies too ingrained in my brain to imagine them myself which, I think, is half the fun of reading. Or maybe the movies just play up the romance part and make Darcy smolder so much more?

It's still a great book. Don't get me wrong, but I was a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't like it more.

This leaves Persuasion as my top favorite Austen book to date. Mostly because of the wonderfully romantic letter.

Next Austen I'm reading is Lady Susan. I had never heard of it, but my aunt suggested I try it because it's her favorite so I will.

1 comment:

Angel said...

I want to read Lady Susan, but I always forget about it when I go shopping for books. Too bad there isn't a movie to watch after reading...or is there???