Friday, June 13, 2008

The Happening

I saw this on opening night which is something I rarely do these days, but it was M. Night Shyamalan's first R rated film so I gave in to the idea of that alone. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't blown away either. It's a good movie, but when I walked out of the theater I wasn't sure what to think. Now thinking back over the film, I realize that the hypothetical "happening" makes sense. It all boils down to humanity's affect on mother nature. Why couldn't plants evolve to defend themselves? Plants do communicate, and there were cited examples of that in the film. Evolution is a part of life for all living things, and even though this film is a little far fetched, it's somewhat believeable, and that makes it kind of scary. And now that I think about it, the whole bee thing in the beginning of the movie makes me wonder if that was supposed to be viewed as the catalyst for why "the happening" began when it did. It's an interesting idea. I would probably see this movie again. If you don't like thinking too much about your entertainment, go see it anyway because there are still plenty of comedic moments to laugh at and shocking deaths to gasp about to make it worth your while.

No comments: