Saturday, June 28, 2008

Love in the Time of Cholera

I thought I was going to get an epic romance that would jerk the tears from my ducts, but not one of my eyes was moist by the end of this film. Maybe if I had read the book first, this movie would be better. I like Javier Bardem, and he acted well in his role...the story was just blah, though. I get the story (it's not hard to understand), but I didn't feel the emotion or sadness or love or happiness that the characters felt throughout the entirety of the movie. I felt it a little in the beginning, but by the end I was numb. I think all the sexcapades that Florentino had just took all the emotion out of it for me. Or maybe it was Giovanna Mezzogiorno's pale, mannequin-like face. I don't know. I'll admit that the ending was sweet and makes you want to say, "Aw, how sweet." I was just not as moved as I had hoped I would be.

No comments: