Monday, December 8, 2008

The Shack (Audiobook) - William P. Young

This was recommended to me by a close friend (Thanks, Donna.), and I'm glad I listened to the story. I was worried that this might be another cookie cutter religious healing type of story, but it wasn't. In fact, it was completely different than what I expected. The story doesn't stake a claim with any particular religion or group or organization. It's simply the story of a man, Mack, and his relationship with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

I felt like I was witnessing an extremely powerful account of a familiar journey that most of us have taken part in on our paths with God. This story may not resemble every person's life, but I think parts of it are easily identified with by most. Mack could be anyone. And I think that is what makes this story so special. The events and the explanations about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit make a lot of sense and really moved me. It's like the author was answering my own questions that I have about my own faith and relationship with God, and I was so surprised by that fact. I'm not saying that I truly understand everything now or that I completely agree with everything in this book, but I do feel more open and desirous of a deeper relationship with God than the one I have had with Him up to this point. I'm happy about that.

I think the part of the story that struck me most was the discussion about the Ten Commandments and how they weren't really rules for us to live by but more of a mirror for us to see what we have become. That whole section on independence from God, using rules and laws to justify our own passing of judgement on others, and on returning back to God - all that was incredibly mind-blowing to me. I loved it!

And I loved all the quotes at the beginning of each section, and one of my favorites was included in this book; "Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal." - Author unknown

I could go on and on about this, but I'll stop. I'm so glad I bought this book.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I liked this book alot. I agree the explanations of things were pretty good. I thought some parts were confusing but this is probably b/c I read it pretty much all in one sitting, and they had to keep talking in metaphors to explain something that's unexplainable. I can see why everyone likes it b/c it says all the usual stuff without sounding all preachy.

Some of my favorite lines or parts -

Page 132 - When the spirit is talking about all the poisonous plants in the garden, and she tells him to touch the one she has just said is poisonous. He's worried and she says, "Of course [it's poisonous]! But if I direct you to touch, that is different. ..So, if you are not hearing my voice, it would be wise to take the time to understand the nature of the plant." I like this because it tells me we should think about what we're doing, but if we hear the spirit tell us to do something that doesn't always make sense or seem like the best, we should go for it.

Page 182 -
"Does that mean," asked Mack, "that all roads will lead to you?"
"Not at all," smiled Jesus as he reached for the door handle to the shop. "Most roads don't lead anywhere. What it does mean is that I will travel any road to find you."

I like this idea.

Page 218 - I like the quote at the beginning of this chapter.
"An infinite God can give all of Himself to each of His children. He does not distribute Himself that each may have a part, but to each one He gives all of Himself as fully as if there were no others." - A.W. Tozer

Page 235 - "Mack, if anything matters then everything matters. Because you are important, everything is important."

Angel said...

Oh, I really enjoyed the whole story. If you listen to it, it's even better. The guy who narrated was good and put a lof of emotion into his characters. I teared up a bit throughout the story. I loved all the metaphors and the explanatios. I thought the author did a great job with them, and I loved all the quotes at each chapter. I liked the quotes you mentioned, HD, and I especially liked the one on page 218 by A.W. Tozer. That is a great one.