Saturday, December 27, 2008

Reign Over Me

Great movie. The story of two friends, both struggling to reconnect with life in their own way. Alan Johnson (Don Cheadle) is a dentist who runs into his old college roommate, Charlie Fineman (Adam Sandler), one day, and they start hanging out again. Alan can't quite connect with Charlie emotionally because Charlie is still kind of grieving over the loss of his wife and children who died in one of the 9/11 plane crashes years earlier. Alan also struggles with his relationship with his wife (Jada Pinkett-Smith) during the movie. The characters all go through some tough, odd moments and hilarious ones as well. I cried, of course, and I laughed a lot, too. Adam Sandler was perfect as Charlie, and Don Cheadle definitely earned points with me. I never really liked him until seeing this film. Saffron Burrows and Liv Tyler are in this, also, and I think they rounded off the cast nicely. I very much enjoyed this emotional roller coaster of a movie. And this is random, but I especially love the fact that Charlie got around on a scooter. I want one now.

I avoided this film for a long time because I didn't think I'd like it, but I love it. I like how this movie shows that sometimes people can't be pushed into a place of healing...sometimes they just need time and understanding to find their own way. Highly recommended.

No comments: