Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice

I saw this on Amazon while browsing for movies to rent. Once I learned that Noah Wyle is the main character, it was on my list. Plus, it has a four-star rating from reviewers so I figured it must be good. It was. I didn't want to spend money buying this just to watch it because it's not at Blockbuster, but luckily I was able to use a freebie at a local Redbox (whoever came up with that contraption is a genius).

This movie is actually the third installment in a series, and Flynn, the main character, is a librarian who goes on missions collecting rare and historic relics for the Metropolitan Library of New York. The library has a secret amazing basement filled with treasures from all over the world, and getting a glimpse of its wonders really adds to the fun of the show.

Flynn's character works well because he knows so much and adds pieces to the story through his random factual interludes and references. The Librarian's vast knowledge and love of information really brings the whole story together. He kind of teaches you, and the action and suspense are almost like extras. I doubt that all of the things he says are true, but they sure captured my attention and made me want to know more.

I liked the idea of the Judas Chalice having a vampiric history. Definitely a good twist in the plot. I am not usually into the vampire thing, but it was fun and suspenseful and not the boring, same-old stuff we're used to when it comes to those creatures of the night. I also liked the little love story between Flynn and Simone. It had its own little twist as well.

Bob Newhart is loveable as kooky Judson, and Jane Curtin is also good in her nerdy role. Noah Wyle really surprised me, though. He's funny and nerdy-hot and an action hero all at once. I think he makes the perfect Librarian. I definitely want to see the rest of the series now. I hope they make many more. Definitely recommended. I think you would like this Heather. It's Indiana Jones-esque.

No comments: