Monday, March 24, 2008

Six Degrees of Separation

This is a story about the separation and bonds between people who have and have not. It's a good concept, and I understood it but didn't like the movie. Some of the story was just too unbelievable, and some of the acting is awful...I like Will Smith, but in this movie he's too fake as the con-artist, Paul. I know con-artists are supposed to be convincing, but Will Smith just seemed like an actor trying way too hard to act like a con-artist which made it painful for me to watch. He doesn't convince me as being homosexual either. It was like he was too afraid to really step into that role completely. He wouldn't even do an on-screen kiss with another male actor, but I'm glad because I would have been grossed out even more so than I was when he faked sex with a man. I don't get that. He faked that but wouldn't fake a kiss.

I did like Stockard Channing. I thought she did a great job as Ouisa, and I felt bad for her at the end when she had her realizations about her life and marriage. She was the only person in this film that I enjoyed watching (besides Ian McKellen in his small role) because she really got into her character, and I believed her emotions. Donald Sutherland did well, but Channing really carried the film. The rest of the cast was decent, but I couldn't get past focusing on Will Smith's weirdness in this movie to really care about them.

Honestly, it wasn't completely horrible. I'm glad I finally saw it and don't have to wonder what it's about anymore, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

No comments: