Saturday, March 20, 2010

Easy Virtue

Based on the play by Noel Coward, this is an updated version from the 1927 silent film of the same name. I didn't read the play or watch that silent version Alfred Hitchcock directed. I don't know if this update is an improvement on that either, but most of this was a little bland aside from the scenes with Colin Firth and Jessica Biel together. I knew the way the story would end right from the moment Larita (Jessica Biel) met John's (Ben Barnes) family and Jim (Colin Firth). Jim is John's father, but he seems just as much a stranger to the family as Larita. I wasn't that interested in the first fifteen minutes, but I kept watching to see if I was right about who would end up together and because I adore Colin Firth.

The movie improved only slightly, and there were some funny moments, and some weird ones. There was also extremely light flirting between the ultimate end couple, whom I paired together correctly. The end was mostly satisfying, but there was no last kiss at the calm yet climactic ending. I was so hoping for at least one peck of the lips...even a loving stare would have sufficed. Alas, I wouldn't recommend renting this and definitely not buying it, but if you can watch it instantly over the internet like I did then do that instead.

Little extra - I liked all of Jessica Biel's costumes, and, again, I adore Colin Firth. :o)

No comments: