Monday, March 8, 2010

The Taking of Pelham 123

I thought the action was slightly on the light side (what was in it was good). The excessive swearing was a bit repetitive and seemed unnecessary for Travolta's character. Four-letter words don't make a movie better. Don't misunderstand me, though, I'm not opposed to cursing. It just appeared to me that the writers were at a loss for original lines.

Washington and Travolta delivered as Garber and Ryder, but I was hoping for a little more depth to their characters...some flashbacks into at least one of their lives would have been nice instead of just listening to them both talk about themselves in general. It was too easy for the good guys to figure out who Ryder really was, too. I think they should have had to dig further and actually investigate. I like it when I don't know something in the story until the characters in the movie actually find out, and I figured Ryder out in the first twenty minutes.

The end was lacking...would like to have seen a better lead into the closure of Garber's personal situation. Overall not bad but a bit of a disappointment. Won't watch it again, but I'd recommend it as a rental to a friend.

No comments: