Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Jane Austen Book Club

This book is not at all what I expected it would be. I don't know what I was hoping for, but this wasn't quite it. Maybe I need to read more Jane Austen to really understand its meaning. All the ladies seem so snooty about only reading Austen or not moving on to something else after they've read Austen. I imagine that's how they're supposed to be though. I'll have to rent the movie and see how it is.

There was one quote that made me stop and reread. And here it is...Page 228 in my version. "And you know, if it were the other way, if something had happened to Allegra, I wouldn't have to remind myself to be unhappy. I'd be unhappy the rest of my life. Why should unhappiness be so much more powerful than happiness?" There's a question for you. And for that matter, why should worrying be so much stronger than faith or hope.

1 comment:

Angel said...

Aw, Heather...good thoughts.