Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

Refreshing. Hilarious! Very informative. Makes me want to hike the Appalachian Trail myself, but I feel like I did mostly because Bill Bryson writes in such crisp detail.

I picked this up and was instantly hooked. I love non-fiction travel accounts, and this was top notch. Not only is it filled with so much information that I feel confident I could brave the AT now, but the witty banter between Bryson and his cohort, Stephen Katz, is so freaking funny. The hilarity that ensues the whole time they are together, the mixture of friends they make along the way, the facts, the stories Bryson tells within the story, his cleverly pitched campaigns to the reader about better treatment of America's natural and historic legends are just a few more reasons why this book is so entertaining. Bryson's writing is so genuine and heartfelt. Very pleasant to read!

I think I will get the audio book for fun. I really loved this book, and I think I'll appreciate it even more hearing it told by the author himself. I'll probably laugh till I burst while I'm listening. I can't wait!

No comments: