Friday, November 7, 2008

Deja Vu

I wasn't disappointed in this sci-fi action flick, but there are holes in the story. Of course, that is to be expected in movies that involve time travel. I thought the plot was decent with the bomb and the murders, and it was interesting to see how agent Carlin actually caused things that he tried to prevent from happening to happen with his time travel related stunts. The end result was the same in most of the situations he tried to change. This reminded me of the book Heather and I read for September, The Time Traveler's Wife, and how Henry, the main character, said that he could go back in time but wouldn't do anything to try and change the future because what was going to happen would happen regardless of what he did or didn't do. That book and this movie both suggest that there are predestined events set in place in life, and the future can't really be altered because things are constantly already happening in the now to lead to the same ultimate end result even before it has happened. Man, that is confusing. Time travel is tricky.

I said in most of the situations the end result was the same in the movie, but the ending is where things somehow miraculously do change so the future does finally alter...for the better, of course.

Overall, I was satisfied with this movie, but I think it could have used a better supporting cast and more of a mad, mad villain. Jim Caviezel delivers a villain who appears to be just quietly crazy in my opinion, and I think that brings the intensity of the movie down a notch.

Recommended for Denzel fans and for anyone who wants to try to wrap their head around the folding time/space thing.

No comments: